Saturday, January 10, 2009

I had a long appointment with Dr. L yesterday.. we talked about my diagnosis and what is to be expected in the upcoming months/years. He is not treating the HP yet, because the only treatment for my type (it's an autoimmune disease) will be to suppress my immune system with a form of chemo. Not my idea of fun, but it may become an evil necessity.

I have to continue to use my CPap machine and in March I will have another CAT scan and 6 minute walk test. If the results of these show no improvement or if my are not stable, then we will have to start seriously consider treatment.

Dr L told me in his 15 years of pulmonary medicine, cases like mine cause him the most problems... because he has to think so much, lol. He said some cases become chronic, some just go away, and others come and go. Right now, mine is considered chronic. I'm one of his 'smoldering' cases.. my problem is not gone and could flair up into a raging fire if we don't watch out.

I also have to lose weight.. like I didn't know.. and start excersizing again. Not much (before all this, I walked/jogged about 5 miles 3 to 4 times a week), but as long as my oxygen level doesn't go below 85 I it's okay. As far as my weight, I am considering a medically supervised diet plan, iMetabolic (www.imetabolic.com)
I have to call on Monday and schedule a consultation.

No comments: